If you are interested in underwriting programming on WITT please call us at
or email us at
What is underwriting?
An underwriting spot is an announcement made on public broadcasting outlets in exchange for funding. These spots usually mention the name of the sponsor, and can resemble traditional advertising in commercial broadcasting. However, there are legal restrictions, such as a prohibition of making product claims, announcing prices, or providing an incentive to buy a product or service. In the U.S., these restrictions apply to all non-commercial educational stations, and even for non-sponsoring companies and products.
Underwriting announcements are strictly for the identification of the sponsor, their products and services, and cannot specifically promote these products and services.
So with all of the restrictions why would I choose to underwrite a program?
Underwriters are often viewed more favorably than a typical commercial advertiser by their audience. When you choose to underwrite a program you are doing more than merely attempting to entice people into purchasing your products and services, you are endorsing and supporting programming that your audience believes in and enjoys. That message creates a connection between something that customers care about and your business.
Underwriting is also generally more affordable compared to traditional commercial radio advertising and sponsorships. It is a great avenue for businesses to get a large amount of exposure at a fair price.
DO’s & DON’Ts for Underwriters
- Establish your organization’s name and location
- Describe your main products and services
- Include a telephone number, address or website
- Incorporate a well-established, recognizable corporate slogan
- Make value-neutral statements about your product or service
- Mention how long you have been in business, if you wish
- State that your company or business supports WITT or one of its programs
- Use comparative, qualitative or suggestive language
- Address the usefulness, convenience or advantages of the product or service
- Mention prices, interest rates, or indications of savings associated with product
- Include any use of the first or second person
- Employ inducements to buy, sell, rent, lease, borrow or loan
- Issue any calls to action
- Advocate any matter of public interest
If you have any additional questions about underwriting please feel free to call us at (317) 251-3851 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.